Wednesday, January 29, 2014

What's Cooking Wednesday #2

Today continues my quest to try recipes I have earmarked, and narrow down all of the post it notes I have over my cookbooks. I have so many cookbooks and this year I am determined to use them instead of my usual websites, as it gives me great joy to read through a cookbook and pick out yummy recipes to try.

Usually, getting my family to eat brown rice is a mission. I was really keen this week to try a Curried Rice Salad from The Skinny Bitch cookbook- excuse the name! This cookbook is all about sustainability and eating food that is good for your body, not necessarily diet food and being skinny. It is a great read if you are interested in a vegan lifestyle or just want to make your meals healthier. Reading this cookbook has made me more aware about pesticides and whole grain foods, although I still do love my meat and cannot get away with dairy free or vegan food in this household! Nonetheless, I slightly adapted one of Kim's recipes for my family's tastes.

Curried Rice Salad
adapted from The Skinny Bitch Ultimate Everyday Cookbook

Makes 4 servings



1 cup brown rice
1 cup diced cucumber
1 carrot, grated
1 cup chopped green beans
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon liquid honey
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 cup shredded coconut

Cook the rice according to packet directions- I use my rice cooker.

Combine the rice with the cucumber, carrot and green beans.

In a small jug, whisk together the mayonnaise, soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, curry powder and sesame oil for the dressing. Combine with the rice and vegetables and stir in the coconut. Chill for two hours then serve.

Kim believes in using non-GMO oils and I was pleased to note that at least my sesame oil would tick the box, even though my mayonnaise wasn't vegan.



To find out more about Kim, visit www.healthybitchdaily.com

I served the rice with Crunchy Chicken Fingers based on 4 Ingredients Kids as I know my family likes this.

750 grams chicken tenderloin
3/4 cup natural yogurt
2 cups wholemeal breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Combine breadcrumbs and cheese together in one bowl, and place yogurt in another bowl. Coat chicken with yogurt and then breadcrumb and cheese mixture. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.



The verdict:

My husband kept saying that the rice was "so good" and "really good"- pleasing words coming from the strong, silent type. The chicken and rice was devoured by my eighteen month old, although he did pick out the green beans. My four year old refused to eat anything but that can be quite typical of our usual evening! Overall, I would say that this was a very successful dinner and I may have finally won the brown rice battle.

Linking up with Wake Up Wednesdays.

Wake Up Wednesdays

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love getting comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...