Wednesday, February 26, 2014

What's Cooking Wednesday #6

Fish cakes are one of those things I have never tried even though they seem so easy. When 5:30 was looming and I had some canned salmon on hand, I flicked through my Million Menus recipe book to find this easy recipe. I love this recipe book, as it has three flip sections so you can mix and match your entrees, mains and desserts, hence the title. I adapted this recipe a bit by baking instead of frying.

Fish Cakes
adapted from a recipe by Million Menus

4 large potatoes, peeled
400g fish- I used canned but you can use fresh if you cook it first
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon plain flour
1 egg, beaten
1 cup wholemeal breadcrumbs made from day old bread

Cut the potatoes into chunks and cook in a large saucepan of boiling water for 15 minutes. Drain well and mash until smooth.

Place the fish, potato, parsley and lemon juice in a bowl and mix. Form into flat, round cakes.

Dust the cakes with flour, then dip them in the egg, then coat thoroughly in breadcrumbs.

Place the fish cakes on an oven tray and allow to chill for at least half an hour.

Bake at 180 degrees C for 15-25 minutes or until golden.


I served these fish cakes with a simple side salad. My nineteen month old son demolished three of these cakes, but my eldest son and my husband weren't too keen on them (hubby doesn't really like fish anyway but the boys do!) I thought they were really good for my first effort at fish cakes, so this will be a good recipe to have on hand when it is just me and my youngest to feed.

Linking up with Wake Up Wednesdays.

Wake Up Wednesdays

1 comment :

  1. We make something similar to this from our Little House cookbook. They are called fish balls, and we love them!! I never thought to add parsley, will need to do that next time. Stopping by from the Boost 100 hop.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...