Wednesday, April 2, 2014

What's Cooking Wednesday #8

This week for What's Cooking Wednesday I am featuring yet another Annabel Langbein recipe- I can't get enough of her books.

My lovely husband harvested our garden in the weekend and look at the bumper amount of carrots and beetroot we got! This wasn't even half of the carrots- most of them have ended up precooked and frozen already. We also still have an entire planter box of beetroot so feel free to send any beetroot recipes my way.



I had to put together a recipe to use these up, and Annabel's Roast Beets and Carrots seemed like a simple base. I cut all my beetroot and carrots into small batons and placed in a roasting dish with
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
and roasted the vegetables at 180 degrees C for 60 minutes.



Once I had made the roasted vegetables, they were mixed together with some couscous cooked in vegetable broth with some lemon juice and lemon oil with some balsamic vinegar and raisins to make a roasted vegetable couscous salad.



Perfect with a dollop of onion relish on top!



I expected my children to be apprehensive of this dish, and sure enough my 20 month old ate all the couscous but didn't touch the beetroot. However, my four year old loved the "beetroop" and ate everything on his plate! He is always enthusiastic about eating food when he knows it has come straight from our garden, and this meal was no exception. Even my husband enjoyed it, and he made the suggestion that this would be perfect with lamb and feta mixed through it as well, or even as a side dish for a lamb main. His idea means that this salad will be featuring on my meal planner again very shortly- I have to use up these vegetables somehow!

Joining in with Wake Up Wednesdays.

Wake Up Wednesdays

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love getting comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...