Wednesday, April 9, 2014

What's Cooking Wednesday #9

It's that time of the week again where I try a recipe from a cookbook that has been sitting in my cupboard.


I cannot get enough of Annabel Langbein's book- I think I will end up trying 75% of the recipes in her book as they appeal to my food taste. This week, the Pineapple Upside-Down Cake called my name. The original recipe calls for one big cake, but I changed things up and made individual servings using a silicone mini cake form from Tupperware.

2 cups self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
finely grated rind of one orange
2 eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup golden syrup
1/2 cup oil

Topping:
50g butter, melted
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp golden syrup
225g can pineapple rings, drained

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Place all cake batter ingredients in a blender or mixer bowl and quickly process until smooth. Melt the topping butter with brown sugar and golden syrup. Pour some into the base of each individual form and then place a pineapple ring on top. Pour over the batter, tapping form on the bench to get rid of any air bubbles. Bake for 50 minutes.



These were amazing! Annabel suggests putting 1 teaspoon ground ginger in the cake batter and putting some hunks of glace ginger on top with the pineapple, which I think would be tasty but I did not do this as some family members do not like ginger. They were a perfect individual piece for a potluck dinner, with just the right amount of stickiness.

We served these beauties alongside a tub of Limon Spoonable Fudge. If you haven't tried Tub Dessert, you are missing out! They have a great range of flavours and are perfect as an accompaniment to hot or cold desserts, or even spooned straight out the tub if you just want a sweet pick me up.

This recipe would also be lovely as a full cake, and I would suggest if you make this as one big cake that you cook it for 70 minutes. A cherry in the middle would also be a great option of you don't like ginger.

Linking up with Wake Up Wednesday.

Wake Up Wednesdays

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love getting comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...