Wednesday, May 7, 2014

What's Cooking Wednesday #11

Remember my glut of beetroot? I am still getting through it, and turned to the trusty Edmonds Cookbook for a recipe for some chutney. My mum lent me all of her preserving and bottling jars, and I got to work.



I modified the recipe in the Edmonds Cookbook to inlcude some orange, as I remember reading about a Beetroot and Orange chutney and thought it sounded delicious.

Beetroot and Orange Chutney
adapted from Edmonds Cookbook

1kg beetroot
2 1/2 cups DYC malt vinegar
1 tablespoon salt
2 cups sugar
1 orange, zested
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup plain flour
1/2 cup DYC malt vinegar

Boil unpeeled beetroot in a larhe pot for 40 minutesd or until skin slips off easily. Finely chop the beetroot and put back into the pot with the first mixture of vinegar. Add the orange zest, salt, sugar, allspice, pepper and ginger. Boil for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix flour and second mixture of vinegar to a smooth paste. Stir into pan and boil for 5 minutes. Pour into sterilized jars.



The verdict:
I got two large jars from this recipe, but it depends entirely on the size of your jars. This recipe can double or triple easily. We have already gone through one of the jars and had to make a second batch of four jars! It is delicious with cold meats, in sandwiches, and mixed with cream cheese and put in a wrap.

I made my own labels using my CTMH supplies: Jubilee Fabric and Made From Scratch stamp set.

Linking up with Wake Up Wednesday.

Wake Up Wednesdays

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love getting comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...