Wednesday, January 7, 2015

WCW Baked Orange Chicken

What's Cooking Wednesday is getting a bit of a facelift this year, complete with a special badge!


I am also going to be focusing on all types of recipes, as this year one of my mini goals is to eat less processed foods. i am hoping that this way of eating will rub off on the boys- they are already pretty good at eating fruits and vegetables but it is hard to get meat into our five year old, who would happily eat ham, salami and sausages every day if I let him but is not keen on chicken, pork or beef.

I love Chinese takeaways, but no-one else in my family is that excited about it, and the family budget doesn't usually stretch to takeaways. To get my Chinese food fix whilst being somewhat healthy, I tried to recreate an orange chicken using the oven instead of frying.

Baked Orange Chicken
3 oranges, juiced and zested
1/3 cup rice vinegar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup marmalade
1.2 teaspoon minced ginger
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic

2 chicken breasts, skin off, diced into cubes
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup cornflour

Mix the flours together in a bowl, and toss in the chicken.

Mix together the sauce ingredients, including the orange zest, and heat gently in a saucepan or microwave bowl, until the marmalade is of pouring consistency.

Place the chicken pieces in an oven dish and pour the sauce on top.

Bake in the oven at 170 degrees C for twenty minutes.



I served this with pineapple fried rice, which was a delicious accompaniment to the meal, but you could serve it over plain rice or noodles as well.

Linking up with Time For Mom.
Time for Mom

1 comment :

  1. Omg it like delicious! I need to try this. Also, I love the badge!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...