Wednesday, May 6, 2015

WCW Cinco de Mayo Family Dinner



We celebrated last night's Cinco de Mayo with a low key Mexican family fiesta. Even though we are not a Mexican family, we love the food and it was a great opportunity to practice some of our Spanish. I am bilingual in Spanish and English and am bringing my boys up to be bilingual also, and so immersing them in events such as this helps them to understand the different culture and increase their vocabulary.

I cooked a meal that was enjoyed by everyone in the family as it is easily customised to different tastes.

Taco Salad
500g chicken mince
1 large jar salsa (mild, medium or hot depending on your tastes)

for the table:
4 cups lettuce or other greens
1 1/2 cups corn chips
1 can refried beans, heated
1 cup grated cheese
cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup sour cream
1 avocado, pitted and sliced into chunks
1 cup sliced black olives

Heat a frying pan on medium high heat and spray with oil. Saute the chicken mince until white, and then stir through the salsa until heated.

Serve on the table with accompaniments and let each person choose their own toppings.



I had some of everything! The boys always go for lots of cheese and beans, and my husband is not a fan of olives. This way we all get what we want to eat, and it is a fun and interactive way to have dinner as a family.


Do you have any serve at the table meals that your family enjoys? I would love to hear about them!

1 comment :

  1. Ahhh, this looks SOOOO good. I love me some mexican food!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...